Arthur S. Alexion on Sat, 14 Sep 2002 06:20:07 +0200

Re: [PLUG] checkinstall

On Friday 02 August 2002 02:56 pm, Gregson Helledy wrote:
> checkinstall was discussed on Slashdot a few days ago.
> Rather than installing from source directly, checkinstall builds a
> package and installs it for you.  Originally designed for rpm, it now
> supports dpkg and Slackware's package system.  This is done so that
> you can remove the software cleanly using the package system rather
> than having to try to find all of its files and delete them.
>
> As I have a rather weak grasp of how rpm works, and no grasp at all
> of how dpkg works, I can't tell how likely this is to work reliably.
> Has anyone else used this?

I downloaded and installed checkinstall back in august when greg first
sent this.  Tonight, I tried it for the first time to install
Ggradebook 0.91 for my wife.  As far as I can tell, it worked fine on
our Red Hat 7.2 system.

3 steps (lots of options)
./configure
make
checkinstall -R[for RPM, also creates Slackware and Debian packages]
(instead of make install)

I used two optional steps.  One lets you create a doc-pak directory
where you put README files and such, and it creates man pages of them
(tried, succeeded, but not tested).    The other lets you create a file
called description-pak which will be used as the package description.
(this did work)

basically, checkinstall "redirects" 'make install' to create the
package (RPM, in my case) instead of doing the install.  Then, it runs
rpm to install the package.

In my case, it succeeded in creating the RPM.  The install was
successful, and the program was installed correctly.  I fired up
kpackage, and there it was complete with the description I wrote, in
the category I chose, with dependencies and a files list.

Seems like a tidy way to stay organized when installing from source.