Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:02:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] why use bind 9?

> Code base written in avoidance of the mistakes that have led to
> security problems with all previous versions of BIND, resolver
> libraries of which the same is true, dynamic DNS support, TSIG
> support, true integration with ISC dhcpd (for dyn-DNS, mostly),
> better approach to zone xfers, split DNS zones, zone views (related,
> but not the same as, the previous). In general, it's got modern

Well, I agree, that it must be good if it's more secure.

> features that older versions don't and that do make your life easier.

Bind was the second hardest thing that I set up. I hated it. I still hate
it, so I don't see how any version of bind can make my life easier. :)

I'm guessing you mean that if I actually knew what I was doing and I was
managing a great number of IPs.

> > OpenBSD uses Bind 4.x.
>
> They ship it. Do you actually think anyone *uses* it? In any case,

I don't know. I was hoping you could help. The OpenBSD propaganda makes a
good case on using the older version as they claim that bind 8 is not
audited, but bind 4 was, and that there are no known holes in the version
that they ship. I don't know enough about this to verify this, though.

> > Are there advantages to bind 9 that I don't know about? I'm happy w/ what
> > I'm running.
>
> If nothing else, you can be sure that there are as-yet undiscovered
> buffer overflows in BIND 8, and that those buffer overflows *will*
> be discovered by malicious hackers, not benevolent ones.

Now, you are being too pessimistic. :)

> It's quite probable that such also exist in BIND 9, but ISC has
> openly stated they're not going to bother to looking for the BIND
> 8 problems, whereas they *are* actively auditing BIND 9 code.

Ah, bind 8 is deprecated all ready. I didn't know. I'm glad someone is
keeping us informed. :)

Thanks, as usual, for the info.

Fred Ollinger