Jeff Weisberg on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:37:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Perl question

| (I may be using the wrong terms here, but) It was in screen output
| section which was meant to provide the person running the script with
| some explanation about what was about to happen, etc.  When the author
| wanted to put stuff therein in quotes, he used two "back accents" ( ` )
| as leading quotes and two single quotes ( ' ) as closing quotes,
| presumably because a real double quote ( " ) would have been
| misinterpreted by the script.

watching someone who doesn't know perl trying to describe
what is going on in a perl script, reminds me of a scene
from a Jackie Chan movie. He is trying to tell someone where
he is by describing the letters on the (Russian) street sign
"N, no wait, backwards N"...

	--jeff