Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 24 Sep 2002 02:10:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] [C QUESTION] how to tell caller of a function

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 07:27:32PM -0400, Sean Finney wrote:
> > how about compiling with debugging symbols, loading it up in gcc,
> > breaking in the suspect function, and then calling bt (backtrace)?
>
> ... or did you mean, Fred, you might want your *program* to be able
> to tell, during regular runtime?
>
> If so, why? Because it'll behave differently depending? Then you

I'm asking this on behalf of someone else, so I'm not quite sure. Is this
difficult to do then? I heard that the caller gets pushed onto a stack
somewhere. This might mean that the stack is worthless to me even if I can
get to it b/c it probably has a bunch of hex numbers that mean something
to the computer, but not me.

> should split the functionality apart. This is one of those "you
> can't do that because you shouldn't be doing that" situations.

So the compiler is protecting me from myself? Is there a way around this?

thanks,

Fred Ollinger