Jeff Weisberg on Thu, 3 Oct 2002 13:12:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cisco or linux as router for T1

| The company I work for is moving into a new office,
| and getting a T1, and I'm going to have to set up the
| network.  I am not familiar with cisco at all, but I
| am very familiar with IPTables.  Would it be a good
| idea to use a linux box as an alternative to the cisco
| router?  Does the csu/dsu even have an rj45 output?
|
| If it comes down to us having to use a cisco router,
| which one should I use, and would there be a big
| learning curve if I already understand the basics of
| routing?

you *can* do it either way, but T1 cards for PCs
are
	hard to find, there are only 1 or 2 manufacturers
	expensive
	probably not supported by your OS

buy the cisco.
I'd suggest a 1600 series with a 'wic dsu t1' card.

your ISP knows cisco. they know how to configure it,
they know how to troubleshoot it.
they can tell you exactly what to type if need be.

with a linux box, your ISP will not be able to help you,
and will always assume any problem you have is a
misconfiguration of your crazy rube-goldberg setup.

	--jeff