Paul on Sat, 5 Oct 2002 16:12:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Mouse Protocols

I advised a guy that, depending on the internals of the mouse, a ps/2 mouse might not work with a serial port adapter. Is that generally true?

To the best of my knowledge, that's not true. The software's looking
for a certain set of signals, those signals are conveyed in one way on
a PS/2 cable, in another on a serial cable, but they're *there* in
both, so a convertor should just work.

An adapter just changes the connector style. Like you wrote, ps/2 and serial signals may be conveyed in a different way. Does every mouse know how to handle both sets of signals? On the computer end there are different drivers for ps/2, serial, and USB mouses. (Then there are bus mouses, but that's another story.)

That's a pretty ridiculous series of adaptors, though. Forget
translation problems, what about signal loss?

I agree.

And, actually, you may end up with trouble getting power out to the
mouse if it needs a lot of juice (like, say, those fancy optical
mice).

I think he did have an optical mouse. I highly recommend them. I don't think power or signal loss would be a problem unless the connectors are stressed. Having five inches of connectors going into a little ps/2 port with a cable hanging off of it might count as stress!

I also advised (sorry for this) that if he is running Win98 that using USB wouldn't be a problem.

Under what circumstances *would* using USB be a problem? The current
version of every major operating system I can think of except for
Irix supports it. (And I'm excepting Irix because I don't know, not
because it doesn't.)

Win95 had USB problems, among other problems. I'm pleased with USB support in Red Hat 7.3.

keys... and that you can't find a 3-button USB mouse unless you buy
it from Sun... THOSE are problems. But not immediately relevant
here, I don't think.)

I use Logitec USB optical wheel mouses. The wheel also acts as a middle button.

Did I offer sound advice or am I getting rusty?

Well, if your advice was "you're being silly, why go through all those convertors when you could probably get a PCI USB card for the same price", then you came to the right conclusion even if some of your support was a bit off. :^>

Yeah, I can't say for sure that the adapters would not work, but I couldn't say that they would work. The USB card offers betters possibilities, even if it costs a little more. Still the best solution is to find a true serial mouse.