Paul.L.Snyder on Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:58:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Lotus Notes For Linux

On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, "Paul" <paul@dpagin.net> wrote:

> What's the difference between Notes and Domino?

Lotus Domino is the server component: web development platform, database
server, mail server, etc.

Lotus Notes is the client piece.

> Adam Lazur wrote:
>
>>Naresh (nganta@myrealbox.com) said:
>>>Is there a version of Lotus Notes for Linux? If it exists how much does
it
>>>cost?
>>
>>The windows version of notes will run under wine on Linux.

Lotus doc on setting up Notes under WINE on Linux (ludicrously long URL):

http://www.lotus.com/developers/itcentralnew.nsf/allpublic/2D96D32F0ED19D26852569DD0067B3D0?opendocument

I have, in fact, used these instructions to coax Notes into life.  I
wouldn't want to support it in a production setting.  Getting the fonts
working right was the most painful part.

winecentric.com's notes on Notes 5 under WINE:

http://www.winecentric.com/notes5.shtml

At an IBM Linux briefing I was at a while back, the presenter recommended
using CodeWeavers CrossOver Office.  (Currently at version 1.2, costs
$54.95).
This is a prepackaged version of WINE, as nearly as I can tell, which is
supposed to make running a lot of standard Windows office applications
much more straightforward.  I've obtained an eval copy from them, but have
not yet had a chance to test it out.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/

Codeweavers has been involved with supporting WINE and has fed some
improvements back.  They also have a product optimized for supporting
browser plug-ins (the best way to get Quicktime working under Linux,
apparently).

Hope this helps,

pls