Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:00:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] which image transfer format?

On Monday 14 October 2002 07:28 pm, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Paul wrote:
> > If you mean BMP or JPEG, I might have to say BMP.  JPEG produces a
> > smaller file size, but at the cost of image quality.  With storage
> > so inexpensive and convenient, file size shouldn't be an issue.
> > If given the option I would think that TIF would be the best
> > choice. Even The GIMP's XCF format is better than JPEG for
> > preserving image quality, and it also saves layer information.
>
> One digital book recommended shooting in JPEG and converting to TIF
> after downloading the JPEGS, then do all maniplations on the TIF file
> (JPEG's compress every time they're saved, so you lose progressively
> more and more data).
>

> > In my book JPEG is for presentation only, especially over the Web.

Right, the quality loss may seem inconsequential for your current
purpose, you'll be sorry if you ever have to enlarge, crop or otherwise
work with it.   I'd go with XCF, PSD or CPT for your archive and use
JPEG for distributions.