gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:47:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Maybe OT - "Supported" Unix on Intel CPUs?

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:08:10AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> That's a bit out of my depth. Are there any "real" Unices that run on
> Intel CPUs, that are supported like that? I don't believe so. Most of the
> "real" Unix vendors are on proprietary hardware, aren't they? (IBM w/AIX,
> Sun /Solaris on their SPARC machines, HP similarly, etc).

HP-UX 11i will run on the Itanic, supposedly, but if you're
anti-64-bit for whatever reason...

Solaris/x86 works. I wouldn't say *well*, but it works.

But what you really want is BSD/OS, which has been around since
1991 when it (then called BSD/386) derived from 4.3BSD Net/2 (which,
of course, is where FreeBSD--then 386BSD--and NetBSD also started),
which goes straight on back to the original Berkeley 1BSD from in
1977, and from there to First Edition way back in 1969. It's got
the same Linux binary compatibility that NetBSD and FreeBSD do.
And your boss will just *love* the marketing speak at:

  http://www.windriver.com/products/bsd_os/index.html

And of course you can leak money for software support:

  http://www.windriver.com/support/index.html

I'll bet you can even buy an IA32 system pre-configured with BSD/OS
from WindRiver if you're going to be throwing money at them
anyway...

The current version number (4.3) is a bit confusing. That's the
release version of BSD/OS; it's got nothing to do with the old BSD
version numbers. BSD/OS is an evolved 4.4BSD Lite (like NetBSD,
FreeBSD, and OpenBSD).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net