kevin mudrick on Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:50:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Xbox or Playstation2

> has a better processor (the MIPS 233Mhz). Anyone here have any of these
> systems and what do you think of them?

i have an xbox, my younger brother owns a ps2.  while we didn't have
them side by side, i did notice that nba live 2002 on the ps2 was much
slower, and the graphics looked rather weak, in comparison to the xbox.
i love my xbox, no more futzing with directx and video card drivers and
all that joy associated with gaming on windows.

regarding the online gaming.. to me, $50 for xbox live, for a year of
access, seems pretty cheap.  with the ps2, you need to buy the extra
broadband hardware package in order to do online gaming, so you're going
to end up paying either way.

also, someone else mentioned that the xbox controllers are too big..
well, microsoft now makes a "mini" version of the controller, which is
pretty nice.  also, you can buy adaptors online which will allow you to
use a ps1/ps2 controller on an xbox, which seems pretty neat.

to me, it comes down to this:the xbox appears to have better graphics,
while the ps2 has a big-ass library of games to choose from.  i mainly
only play sports games (just got madden 2003 and nba 2k3 recently, both
rock), so its not really an issue, since the major game makers (like
sega, or ea sports) make versions of their (nhl/nba/mlb/nfl) games for
ps2 *and* xbox (and usually gamecube too).

if you're still unsure, goto toys 'r us or someplace like that, and try
out the demo systems to help you out.  i know the first time i played an
xbox game (nba live 2003 on my friend's xbox) i fell in love, and ended
up buying it a few days later :)

-kevin

--
 kevin mudrick // kevin@furhurts.com