Stephen Gran on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:42:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Trouble to read file using old computer/cdrom

This one time, at band camp, Sijian Zhou said:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 04:12:46PM -0700, Sijian Zhou
> wrote:
> >> I have an old desktop with 300MHz CPU with a
> 52xCD-ROM
> >> driver. I installed RedHat 7.3 on the desktop.
> >>=20
> >> cp: reading `/mnt/cdrom/lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz':
> >> Input/output error
>
> it's possible that you have faulty hardware, and it's
> possible that
> there's a kernel bug/misconfiguration for your cd rom
> setup.  is there
> anything suspicious from /var/log/* ? =20
>
> --sean
>
> I checked /var/log/messages.1. There are something
> like these:
>
> Oct 19 15:17:25 linuxserver1 kernel: hdd: command
> error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Oct 19 15:17:25 linuxserver1 kernel: hdd: command
> error: error=0x54
> Oct 19 15:17:25 linuxserver1 kernel:
> isofs_read_level3_size: More than 100 file sections
> ?|?, aborting...
>
> If this message is related to my problem, looks to me
> this is kernel problem. Not my hardware problem.
> How do I find out if I have misconfiguration problem?
> I installed my RedHat 7.3 without file system problem.
>
> -- Sijian Zhou
Try enabling/disabling DMA on the drive (with hdparm or one of those) -
whenever I've seen that message, it's either a failing drive or a DMA
mismatch.  It may be that the drive wants to use DMA (probably, since
it's 52x) and it's not enabled for the drive.  Look at dmesg, and see if
it says the drive uses DMA.  You should see something like:
hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)

HTH,
Steve
--
Magpie, n.:
	A bird whose theivish disposition suggested to someone that it