Paul on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:09:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DNS Problem Now

The DNS servers came back very shortly after I wrote the original message. I was able to use e-mail by pointing to my Web host's DNS server. This time I gathered information beyond lack of name resolution. Here's what I found...

Bad: nmap showed a response time of 56 seconds when I scanned TCP port 53. ping timed out every time using default values.

Good: nmap shows response times of 0 to 3 seconds when scanning TCP port 53. ping shows that the servers are online.

What would cause *all* DNS servers to have extremely long response times?