gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:30:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] No Movie Player in RedHat 8

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:40:00PM -0400, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I was dissappointed to find that I can't play any mpeg movies in RedHat
> 8. Anyone else have this problem (konq crashes). What do I need to get
> it working, any clues?

Well, I haven't a clue about Red Hat packages, but I'm a big fan of
mplayer (after I got the faad2 audio library to compile properly).
Get it from:

  http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/

Looks like they have RH 7.2 and 7.3 packages, which may well behave
with RH 8. (Even if they don't, it's not that complicated to build
provided you can find the libraries it needs for support as RPMs.)

It'll play MPEG*, DivX, AVI, Windows Media(!), older QuickTime
movies(!!), DVDs and VCDs straight off the disk (the former probably
only presuming you provide the decryption foofram; I don't own a DVD
player so I haven't tried)...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net