Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:27:04 -0400

[PLUG] apt and up2date. Was: No Movie Player in RedHat 8

> Obviously I run APT in Debian, but I haven't tried it in redhat.  All my
> music is in OGG though.

Chris, what does your apt sources line look like? I'm pulling from 7.2
from tuxfamily and it's so-so. Lacking real debconf, it's not as nice as
debian b/c they don't ask you config questions. Also, I have still managed
to get into rpm hell once in a while. I had to add some really bad kludgy
stuff to my initial install script in order to get apt to install at all
(on rh 7.2). Then I had to install manually, couldn't use ks b/c e1000 was
incompatable w/ Dell's new nic on rh7.2. We are stabilized on rh7.2 for
now. This is sort of like the debian install hassle except in debiank, I
learned things about hardware that I'll never forget, thus each debian
install is easier for me. Here, installs are easier on the same hardware
b/c I have a script, but I didn't really learn anything except how to
force things in rpm. Don't try this at home kids. :)

Anyone mix up2date w/ apt? I was thinking of trying this. I figured that
since rpm was used by both underneath, things would work ok. I hate
up2date, though, too slow, intrusive and corporate. Anyone know how to
where the up2date files are so that I don't have to register a machine,
that is, I want to run a netwide script that updates dozens of machines
w/ no interaction and the registration is really a pain.

If I could only convince the boss that the pretty name on rh is the only
thing that they are selling, I could convert all the servers over to
debian and probably put myself out of work. :)

Fred