George Langford, Sc.D. on Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:30:04 -0400

[PLUG] Can I translate a Linux disk by copy & paste ?

Hello PLUG Listers !

After a long absence while my Linux machine was happily acting
as a passive server for my less-flaky-now-that-I-removed-the-
Datom-worm W98SE machine that Paul helped me set up, an Ex of
mine asked if I wasn't using the IBM Thinkpad 750CS that she
gave me (sans battery !).  That set me to thinking about why I
resuscitated it with a used battery, bigger hard drive, docking
station, etc. - to install Linux !  After all, it is glacially
slow with even W95.

What brought me up cold a year ago when I was trying this was
that the CDROM drive couldn't read the format in which the
Linux distribution disk was written. I had no luck in finding
any suitable drivers ... even though IBM is big into Linux
these days, they're definitely not happy about maintaining old
devices (like the scanner of mine on which they stopped all tech
support so I couldn't get rid of the green cast to my scans).

The other day, after that call from the Ex, I idly made another
CD with what I remember were the 8+3 filename restriction plus
Joliet extension, and Lo ! and Behold ! The Thinkpad could read
it !  Even showed all the filenames just like they looked
originally on the PC (very long indeed).

Which brings me to the thought that inspired this posting: Could
I simply copy the Linux distribution disk onto the Linux box's
hard drive and then burn a new CD from that ?  With the 8+3
filename restriction ?  And the Joliet extension (probably not,
I'd guess, after reading that Joliet was Microsoft's doing) ?

Naturally I don't expect to be able to install the whole nine yards
of Linux operability onto the Thinkpad - I just want to use it as a
portable word processor, HTML editor, and web-surfer.

Thanks,
George Langford
amenex@amenex.com
http://www.amenex.com/