gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:30:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] fstab oops

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 08:19:51PM -0400, jeff wrote:
> Let's say some genius makes a mistake in fstab, which shows up on boot as
> trying to mount smb shares and never gets past it.  How would said genius
> bypass fstab or correct the error during boot?

Boot single user, which won't mount anything. Then remount /
read-write, mount /usr (for an editor, only if it's not part of /),
edit /etc/fstab.

linux single at the lilo prompt, maybe?

For Unices, boot -s always works (BSD or Sys V) in my experience, so
perhaps giving a -s flag to a Linux kernel will also work.

If all else fails, init=/bin/sh.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net