Eric S. Raymond on Mon, 28 Oct 2002 06:24:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] RedHat 8.0 Installer

Martin DiViaio <scatterbrained@usermail.com>:

> Has anyone had issues with the RH 8 installer?
>
> I've tried to install two completely different machines and the installer
> has been really unstable on both of them.

There are serious problems with the 8.0 installation CD-ROM driver.

It's a weird bug, dependent on the CD-ROM hardware.  My Plextor CD-R drive
doesn't tickle it, but both my Pioneer 305 and the drive in my ThinkPad base
do.  It affects both IDE and SCSI CD-ROMS.  It's *not* a DMA bug; DMA is turned
off in the installation kernel.