Darxus on Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:00:05 -0500

[PLUG] full graphical web browsing from the console (without X)

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/

debian packages:  ftp://yikes.tolna.net/pub/linux/release/debian/

I've done:  alias links='links -driver fb -g'

You need to be using kernel framebuffer support.  If you have a penguin or
something in the upper left hand corner during bootup, you're already
using fb.  Kernel config examples from 2.4.19:

Code maturity level options
  [*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers
Console drivers
  Frame-buffer support
    [*] Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
      [*]   VESA VGA graphics console

Then in lilo.conf do something like "vga=0x317".

The long version:  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html

It also works via svgalib if you prefer to use that instead.

I've seen a couple other fairly broken attempts at hacking image support
into text browsers.  This is *full* graphical browsing, and pretty,
and acceptable, and I will not be running X much any more because of it
(graphical browsing was about the only reason I still had X running most
of the time).

And it's really fast.

--
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
 - Emiliano Zapata, Mexican Revolution Leader