epike on Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:30:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Home Multimedia

> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in expanding my home network and pondered a server so as
> to be able to integrate my tv and music/ stereo systems. Has anyone
> embarked on this journey before that could recommend any particular
> software, distro or gear that excels in these areas and any challenges
> they have faced?
>
> Thanks,
> dj

Hi

may be not exactly what you want, but just some misc ideas; I have
connected a deck radio tuner to feed audio into the linux
server's audio card, and that server produces mp3's every
nite (a talk show program) so if i miss something i like i just grab
the relevant mp3 (also shared to windows shares via samba).  Downside
is that the linux cant control the tuning knob (its a
component deck).  My next step would be to rebroadcast the
mp3s in the morning using a $100 FM transmitter (ccradio.com has one
looks good).  This gadget looks to just take any input and broadcsts
it to a few 10's of feet.  If i have that my next problem then
is scripting the mixer setting so that the audio input dont
clash with the output (but that should be easy)...

software used: mpegrec (stream audio to mp3) , lame (to resample mp3)
These programs are scriptable and fit into cron jobs nicely.

epike