Arthur S. Alexion on Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:20:11 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mozilla mail?

On Saturday 02 November 2002 08:44 am, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I was hoping for something I could automate.

Well you can sort of.  You can set up a filter (or filters) that move
messages older than a certain number of days from the server to a local
archive folder.  You may have to manually run the filters, though, and
you may have to do this multiple times if you want to run it on
multiple folders.

> Bill Jonas wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 10:28:45PM -0500, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> >

> >>i get charged for disk usage, so i want to compact the email
> >> folders or just download all the messages up to a certain date to
> >> an archive. does anyone know if this is possible via mozilla mail?
> >>

> >Sure, just select the first message, find the last one, shift-click
> > that one, then drag all the messages to a local folder.  Note that
> > this can take a long time on a slow link or with a large number of
> > (or large-sized) messages, since you have to download all the
> > messages you're moving.
> >

> >>the compact older option seems to have no effect.
> >>

> >My understanding (and a Google search should confirm this, but I'm
> > too lazy to do that right now) is that on local folders, Mozilla
> > doesn't actually delete the message, but simply marks it as deleted
> > (and then it will not be displayed, just like it had been actually
> > removed).  The "Compact" command actually goes through and gets rid
> > of deleted messages; this can result in a substantial space savings
> > if you have a good number of message which you've deleted since the
> > last time you've compacted the folder.
> >
> >The internals of IMAP folders, on the other hand, are not managed by
> >Mozilla.  When you delete a message in an IMAP folder, the client
> >(Mozilla, in this case) simply tells the IMAP server to delete the
> >message, and the server handles the details.  What usually happens
> > is that the message *is* actually removed from the folder (at least
> > by the time you select a different folder -- I'm not overly
> > familiar with the internals of the popular IMAP servers).  So the
> > "Compact folder" command basically becomes a no-op on an IMAP mail
> > folder; no operation == no effect. :)

I used IMAP with Netscape mail for a long while and my understanding is
the same as Bill's.  That is, the client only "tells" the server to
delete, and how the deletes are handled by the IMAP server is a matter
soley in the hands of the server's configuration.

One problem that I used to have was that I had limited disk space on
the server, and I would let my IMAP folders fill up to capacity.  The
server was configured to delete by moving to a server trash folder.  No
direct deletes.  This resulted in serious problems best explained by
example.  Suppose I had 10 megs and someone sent me a 6 meg attachment.
 Couldn't be deleted from the server.  Why? Well in order to delete,
the server had to first copy to the trash folder.  'Move' was a two
step process, first copy to trash, then delete from inbox.  But that
required 12 megs of disk space which surpassed my allotment.
Therefore, since I could not copy->move to trash, I could not delete.
Required ISP assistance.  Got to be more trouble than it was worth.

That is just an example of how IMAP behavior is controlled more by the
server than by your mozilla client.