Jason Costomiris on Sun, 3 Nov 2002 08:39:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Problems w/SMTP on Verizon DSL, none on Comcast Cable?

On Sunday, November 3, 2002, at 01:11 AM, Paul wrote:

When I had Telocity (DirectTV) DSL I think they used Verizon to make the connection. Do you think that I would have the port 25 problem now if I singed up for a service which uses Verizon's lines? (Of course the accepted domains would be different.)

It depends on the DSL provider. Verizon only provides Layer 2 connectivity when they put DSL in your house. You can also use Verizon for Layer 3-7, or any other DSL provider that works with Verizon loops. In order for a DSL provider to work with Verizon, they only need to have a connection into Verizon's ATM/SMDS cloud. At the CO, the DSLAM hands your connection off to the appropriate provider's network.

-- Jason Costomiris <>< E: jcostom {at} jasons {dot} org / W: http://www.jasons.org/ Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.