Charles Stack on Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:32:17 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Problems w/SMTP on Verizon DSL, none on Comcast Cable?

Love to.  But, I'm a year contract now.  Cancelling will cost me plenty.
So, I'll suck it up for the year and then switch.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Mike Leone
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 8:00 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Problems w/SMTP on Verizon DSL, none on Comcast
Cable?

Charles Stack (charles.stack@verizon.net) wrote this on 11 03, 02 at 12:43:
> I had Telocity and they didn't limit anything.  I had full access to my
home
> machine from whereever I allowed access through my firewall.
>
> I was a bit bummed when I moved 1/2 mile and found I was unable to get
> Telocity BUT I could get Verizon DSL.  When I spoke with the folks at
> Telocity, they informed me that they subcontract DSL lines from Verizon
and
> that my current address was not in their list.
>
> So...here I am on Verizon DSL getting scanned and attacked everyday by
> people looking for somebody else at my daily IP.   Most of those attacks
are
> from KaaZa...something that I have never used nor will I ever use.  I have
> to NAT all traffic and have no open ports because I have seen even Verizon
> scanning my system as they attempt to enforce their TOS.  This limitation
is
> a real drag.  But, the performance of Verizon DSL has been very good...I
> just have to defer my plans until they either allow static IPs or another
> provider can provide me with one.

So dump Verizon as an ISP, and get somebody like DCA.NET as an ISP. 6
static IPs, and they don't mind you running Linux. And they don't block any
ports.

That's what I did, 2 yrs ago. Haven't ever regreted it.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348