Bill Jonas on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 19:23:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] split & cat

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 06:30:04PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> Yes, DOS can handle wildcards.

*In the shell*.  *In the shell*.  Note:

> gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> >If DOS does wildcard expansions in the shell, but I don't think
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

DOS would be an even poorer operating system if it didn't have wildcards
at all, but it doesn't handle wildcards *in the shell*.  From looking at
some DOS/Windows code (to port it to Linux), I think that programs have
to call functions named findfirst() and findnext() in order to process
wildcarded filename specifications.

(Incidentally, this is why you can say something like 'ren *.foo *.bak'
and actually have it work, whereas in a *nix-based system you would have
to use a for loop.  This, IMO, is the *only* redeeming feature of not
having the shell process the wildcards.)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin