gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:36:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] split & cat

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 06:33:13PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> That might be an issue in general, but it this case it will work just
> fine.  copy /b foo+bar baz will reconstruct the file without changing
> anything in foo or bar.

It will only work right if split(1) and DOS's copy think line
endings are the same character. It *will* fail if they disagree.

Are you suggesting that DOS's copy magically figures out what kind
of line-ending existed previously? What about what split(1) does
when there are two EOLs in a row?

I can't test whether they do; I don't have a copy of DOS. (Or GNU
split(1) without ssh'ing, for that matter...)

Sounds like it works fine, but I wouldn't trust it in the general
sense. dd(1), on the other hand, will give you *exactly* the source
bytes, and it sounds like copy will do the same. It's just safer.

It's also, it would seem, moot at this point. :^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net