Riffer, Morgan on Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:00:04 -0500

[PLUG] basic question

I'm sorry for asking this, because I know it isn't directly related to
linux, but I don't know who else to ask.  I work for a nonprofit in Philly
and I'm trying to write very very simple instructions for people with little
to no computer experience to download a free program (acrobat reader)at
other nonprofits.  Here is where I'm stuck: I'm trying to tell them how to
identify their operating system if they don't know what it is. I know how to
do this on a PC (with windows, I know, I'm sorry).  But with a Mac I'm going
from memory several years ago. Am I remembering correctly that you click on
the apple menu and then select properties? or do you double click on the
harddrive and select properties under a menu?  I know noone with a mac and
don't want to stear people wrong.  If anyone out there has a mac in front of
them and could let me know, I'd really appreciate it. I've google searched
and looked on apple's site and nobody goes basic enough to tell you how to
identify the operating system.

We are working on incorporating linux into the programs we offer nonprofits
around technology, but we don't yet have the knowledge base. Currently we
are trying to increase the effective use of the tools they already have
(typically windows of some form or another).  But we successfully installed
Mandrake last week and are playing around and learning the basics, so we're
on our way.

Morgan Riffer
Teaming for Technology
United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania