epike on Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:50:06 +0100

[PLUG] webhosting question

Hi list,

I'm looking for suggestions or refinements to my plan.  Suppose
I want to host 10 virtual websites on my machine.  I have slight
issues dealing with user permissions, since I want to make
sure users can't see each others directory.

scenario:

/www/virtualhost1/cgi-bin
/www/virtualhost1/public
/www/virtualhost1/logs
/www/virtualhost2/cgi-bin
/www/virtualhost2/public
/www/virtualhost2/logs
/www/virtualhost3/cgi-bin
/www/virtualhost3/public
/www/virtualhost3/logs
/www/virtualhost4/cgi-bin
/www/virtualhost4/public
/www/virtualhost4/logs

are directories served by Apache (with virtualhost[1-4]) as
virtual hosts, each directory owned by different users.

Solution 1:

make each directories /www/virtualhost? owned by the
respective users, and make the group "apache"

Solution 2:

make each directories /www/virtualhost? owned by users
with their own groups, and make apache take on supplementary
groups so apache can read the files

Solution 3:

intall another machine where users can have their own
uids and gids, and NFS-mount the disk to the webserver,
performing file permissions and Uid/gid translations
if thats possible.

Am I planning correctly or am I doing this wrong?
Any suggestions welcome!

thanks in advance

jondz / e.pike