Stephen Gran on Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:10:07 +0100

Re: [PLUG] non profit linux

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:42:23PM -0500, Weissman, Gary said:
> Hi, I'm new to this list so I want to say hello before I start buggin ya'll
> with questions.  I work for a non-profit technology assistance
> provider--i.e. we are effectively technology consultants to nonprofits.
> There is a TON of Microsoft software in the nonprofit world in Philadelphia.
> Doesn't it make sense that nonprofits would prefer open-source
> (philosophically and financially)?
>
> The real price of Linux, however, for these groups is an initial knowledge
> investment that most people are too afraid/unwilling/don't know how to make
> I'm in a position where I can help with that knowledge transition (moving
> from Microsoft OSs to Linux), but I don't feel comfortable doing it until
> *I* know what's going on.
>
> Anyway, anyone with information regarding the practicality of moving philly
> non-profits to Linux (for desktop workstations, file servers) I would
> appreciate any input from you. How to train people?  Introduce them slowly?
> Support networks?  etc...

Sounds like nice work you're doing.

My advice is to approach each group with a view towards what works for
them.  If noone in the group knows anything about computers, it's just
as easy to teach basic user skills (web browsing, email, word
processing) in linux as it is in Windows.  If there are several people
who find computers arduous, but have made some strides in Windows, leave
them with what they're happy with for desktop use.

That said, any back-ends that need to be set up (LDAP, SQL, samba, etc)
can be set up cheaper and more securely in linux than under Windows, and
my personal feeling is that groups would be better served by something
unlikely to crash mysteriously than something that is.  The amount of
maintenance for a well set up server is minimal, so if you don't (or
they don't) feel like they should admin the box directly, just stick it
in a corner, and say, "leave that one running.  It'll be fine."  If you
see security advisories, or you otherwise have a need to do some admin
work on that box, just ssh in and repair/upgrade.

> Also, my tech question for the day: I'm running the only linux box in my
> building.  It's an IBM pentium 3 thinkpad with Mandrake 9.0.  I've set up
> the ssh daemon and I'm trying to setup new user accounts so my colleagues
> can log in and play around with the command line to get a feel for it.  Only
> problem is, I get this message when I try to add a new user:
>
> vipw lockfile (/etc/ptmp) is present!
>
> I've tried changing the name of this file to make it "not present" but the
> file is then recreated.  Any suggestions?

Don't use Mandrake myself, but /etc/ptmp is the the temporary copy of
/etc/passwd (IIRC) created when ever modification needs to be done to
system accounts (adding users, modifying passwords).  It should be
removed when the process exits, but apparently some process left it
laying around.  When the new process to modify system accounts starts
up, it sees this, and thinks something else is currently modifying
system accounts, and exits with an error.  Move the file aside (cp to
/root or something) and try again.  Do you still get this error?

--
Stephen Gran
steve@lobefin.net