Bill Jonas on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:40:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Screenshot of GDM?

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 08:57:37AM -0700, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> Wow! good stuff. thanks.

No problem.

The distinction, which I failed to make in the other post, is that
xwd(1) comes with X (it's in the xbase-clients package on my Debian
system and in the XFree86 package on a Red Hat 7.2 box on which I have
access), whereas import is in a separate package (imagemagick on Debian,
ImageMagick on Red Hat).  In order to view an image produced by xwd(1)
without any additional software beyond what comes with X, you can use
xwud(1).  (Converting one of these, as I mentioned, can be done with the
Gimp or with ImageMagick, but import(1) comes with ImageMagick, so...)

Side note: "xwd" means "X Window Dump".  "xwud" would be, of course, "X
Window Un-Dump".  (AFAIK.)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin