Chris Fearnley on Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:50:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

The most important part of this discussion has been missed:
we need to appoint a new web maintenance team.  I nominate:
  1.  Iman Mayes <imayes@verizon.net>:  Primary Web Admin
  2.  Chris Mann <cmann@lmres.com>:     Backup  Web Admin

Iman and Chris both seem reasonable people to me.  Both Iman and Chris
have volunteered.  No one else has volunteered (let me know if I missed
someone, I see no reason not to have a tertiary backup).  So I think we
can elect/appoint Iman and Chris straightaway.

Darxus: Please send Iman and Chris the information they need to access
the PLUG Web Maintenance account (copy lenp this e-mail and whatever
else is necessary to move forward with these appointments).  If you
have time, tender some advice as outgoing Web Admin.  You did a
fantastic job taking the site from nothing to something of tremendous
value (not to mention acquiring phillylinux.org)!!!

Iman and Chris:
Please be conservative in your updates (especially at first).  Discuss
major changes with the group first.  PLUG has always been an inclusive
group; however, individual initiatives are necessary to take the group
to new levels -- we need leaders: be leaders.  I encourage you to take
the cautions of the group to heart and take a few initiatives to make
the site better (regardless of the fact that it will be impossible to
achieve a 100% feeling of satisfactory consensus in most cases).

Job #1:  update the page <http://www.phillylinux.org/meetings.html> to
remove past meetings (add them to
<http://www.phillylinux.org/talks.html>.

Does anyone do backups for phillylinux.org?

Finally, I'm copying some advice from msimons that seemed to me to be
the best "lowest common denominator" advice that has been tendered.  I
especially care about his first item: the PLUG website is linked into
from so many places:  we do not want to break illions of links just
because of a site reorganization.  Make sure the old URLs continue to
work (even if they get "replaced").

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary