Tobias DiPasquale on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:50:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] NTFS --> to ? Conversion

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 10:10, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> Has anyone know of or used any tools that can change a filesystem from
> NTFS to ... anything else? Does anyone know of free tools to do this and
> what has your experience with them been like? What is the potential data
> risk? I know PArtionMagic can do it. Anything else? Also - does anyone
> know if there is a non-destructive way to go from NTFS-->ext3? perhaps by
> way of FAT?

Just get a hard drive of equal or greater size, format it to the
filesystem you would like to end up with, and use Linux to copy NTFS
from the original hard drive to x format on the new hard drive. I don't
know of any tools that can translate the filesystem in place, and its
not something that MS would like to see happen, so you may not find any.

--
<< Tobias DiPasquale >> | UNIX Software Engineer | http://cbcg.net/