Mike Leone on Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:23:28 -0500

[PLUG] Re: Help needed in reviving semi-hosed system

jasonrc@gomdoli.com (jasonrc@gomdoli.com) had this to say on 11/16/02 at 18:05:
> I'm not quite sure I really understand the problem, but if its realted
> to bad upgrades then it should be fixable. If I were trying to salvage a
> system, I would start purging packages until it started to behave a bit
> better, then get clean sources and build back up.

Well, the upgrade just made the problem show up.

I did an init 1; umounted /usr; ran a "resierfsck --check"; got many errors,
that said to run a "rebuild-tree" option of reiserfsck. Which I did. About 6
times, until it stopped aborting. :-( Didn't solve all of the errors, tho.

Still have problems. Neither KDE nor GNOME nor IceWM will now start, and ldconfig now
reports:

turgon@minas-aran:~$ sudo ldconfig
Password:
ldconfig: Cannot lstat /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3: Permission denied
ldconfig: Cannot lstat /usr/lib/libeditor.so.1: Permission denied
ldconfig: Cannot lstat /usr/lib/libeditor.so.1.0.0: Permission denied
ldconfig: Cannot lstat /usr/lib/libqui.so.1.0.0: Permission denied
ldconfig: Cannot lstat /usr/lib/libsocks.so.4.3: Permission denied
ldconfig: Cannot lstat /usr/lib/libsocks.so.4: Permission denied

So apparently my /usr partitiion is still fubarred. And KDE won't start,
because it can't access one/some of it's libs. I presume the same for GNOME.
In fact, I have no X at all.

<SIGH>

Looks like reformat/reinstall time for me. Might be the only way to fix the
partition (well, filesystem) that /usr is on.

Luckily, all my email is IMAP, on another server. And I can mount my Windows
partition, and resave important files over there. And I suppose I can look
at this at an oppurtunity for forced upgrade to the latest Libranet. :-)
Is 2.7 available for download? This time, I might even stay with testing,
instead of unstable.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348