Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:20:05 -0500

[PLUG] debian dpkg questions: copying and holding

I'm confused about how to hold a package at its current version so
that it won't try to upgrade itself. Does anyone know how to do this?
I'm not seeing it on the dpkg man page. On google I see I can do it
with dselect, but I thought dselect was a wrapper for dpkg. (I want to
do this on the command line if I can.) Does anyone see what I'm
missing here?

Also, I'm moving to a new machine, and I'd like the new machine to
have all the stuff the old one has. I've thought about

    dpkg -l |tail +6|awk '{print $2}' > /tmp/pkgs

Then I copy /tmp/pkgs to the new machine and say

    pkgs=`cat /tmp/pkgs`
    apt-get install $pkgs

But I wonder if there's a better way.

Tia.