Stephen Gran on Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:29:38 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Laptop reboots -- Comcast or static or age?

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 09:43:25PM -0500, Mitch Maltenfort said:

> For the past week or so, I've had an annoying problem with my Linux
> laptop.
>
> The beast occasionally reboots.  Usually this happens right at log-in, but
> now it's begun during operations in graphics mode.
>
> I figure there's three suspects, and any advice in tracking down which --
> and how to fix it! -- would be appreciated.
>
> 1) Comcast cable modem.  This is my first time using this system with
> Comcast.  It was fine with DirectTV DSL back in DC.  Is it possible that
> somehow the Comcast cable modem is triggering the problem?

Probably not - ethernet is pretty much ethernet.

> 2) Sheer age.  This system, with its configuration, is about three years
> old.  Still, I had a good run with an older Tosh laptop and that still
> seems healthy.

Seems reasonable.  Laptops do wear faster than desktops and servers.

> 3) Static shocks.  Cold weather and carpeted apartment.  I grasp something
> metal before sitting down to touch the computer, but still it gets jolted
> occasionally.  I'm skeptical this is the case, because the problem is too
> localized.  If I was screwing up my hard disk with shocks, I would expect
> more random misbehavior.
>
> So what could I configure, reconfigure, reinstall, etc. to square this
> away?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mitch

I just had this same problem with my old thinkpad - finally traced it
down to bad RAM (I hope it's the RAM and not the motherboard, at any
rate).  Try memtest86 on it.  I left it running overnight and came back
to a ton of errors.  Am waiting for new RAM to arrive to make sure, but
it's a place to start.
|  Stephen Gran                  | An atom-blaster is a good weapon, but   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | it can point both ways.   -- Isaac      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Asimov                                  |