jeff on Tue, 3 Dec 2002 19:00:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Laptop reboots -- Comcast or static or age?

> 3) Static shocks.  Cold weather and carpeted apartment.  I grasp something
> metal before sitting down to touch the computer, but still it gets jolted

You can try ruling this out as follows:

Purchase a grounding strap.
  -or-
`Build' a grounding strap by screwing one end of a piece of wire to a known ground (screw-plate of a properly wired outlet) and the other end stripped and wrapped around your wrist.  This bleeds off all static to ground.

Good luck.