sean finney on Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:30:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] encryption and emacs

without knowing too much about emacs, editing sensitive files with
emacs strikes me as a Really Bad Idea.  emacs likes to keep all kinds
of state files around in the case that it crashes, and the last thing
you want is your file stored in an unencrypted .file in /tmp or $HOME.
of course perhaps theres a way for emacs to not keep said buffers on
disk?  i don't know, i'm a vi user :)

anyway, try

M-1 M-! gpg --decrypt file

which i think does what you want