epike on Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:50:31 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ssh is a really beautiful tool...

> Yes, you could construct a full VPN based on this, never touching
> either IPSec or SSL. And you wouldn't need any special access to
> networking hardware (or, really, any special networking hardware at
> all, provided you weren't especially interested in speed).

i've had a lame attempt to start to construct a poor man's vpn
using ssh but on further reading some people find the performance
really poor, on account of tunnelling tcp over ssh over tcp
(some race conditions, apparently).  What i think they do
is run pppd on both sides of ssh and route the new IP's
to that.  I think.  If you can successfuly pull this off
can you post back i'll be interested to know how, thanks!

e pike