Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 27 Dec 2002 19:10:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] sound woes

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 06:39:35PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 06:05:49PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> > I'm trying to get sound to work on my machine. I have onboard sound
> > that doesn't work. The line from lspci about onboard sound is this:
> > [...]
> > OK, so onboard sound is iffy, I put in a SoundBlaster 16 card. Now
> > lspci reports this:
>
> The Intel onboard sound has apparenly had some sampling issues in it's
> driver code, which is no doubt what you mean about the chipmunks (^: -
> there is some way to downsample the sound rate to make it act normally,
> but it's not worth it if you have decent sound card handy.

Agreed on both counts.

> Do you have the driver the new card loaded (lsmod)?  I think you can
> disable the onboard sound in the BIOS, usually, but it really shoudn't
> be a problem - just make sure you keep the Intel modules unloaded, and
> only load the ones for the sb card - linux won't care that there's
> physically more than one in the box.  After the module/hardware issues
> have been worked out, we'll see about soundserver stuff (arts vs esd &
> so forth).  I've never really played much with soundconfig, so I don't
> know that I can help you much there - it's a redhat/ALSA thing, isn't
> it?  If so, I'm going to be out of ideas soon - I know OSS better.

To my surprise, disabling onboard sound in the bios dropped it out of
the lspci listing and made sndconfig do the right thing. (The both
wanted a flavor of AC97 driver.) I thought linux ignored the bios and
it only mattered for booting. Guess not.

By the way, sndconfig is not just redhat, although it was authored by
them. It's debianized and gpl'ed:

 jeff@asterix:sndconfig $ dpkg -l sndconfig
 ii  sndconfig      0.68-4         Easy soundcard configuration
 jeff@asterix:sndconfig $ pwd
 /usr/share/doc/sndconfig
 jeff@asterix:sndconfig $ cat copyright
 This package was debianized by
 Bas Zoetekouw <bas@A-Es2.uu.nl> on Sun,  7 May 2000 19:07:22 +0200
 Noel Koethe <noel@debian.org> on Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:23:00 +0200

 It was downloaded from
 ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/SRPMS/SRPMS/

 Upstream Authors: Red Hat Software <sound-list@redhat.com>

 Copyright:

 Released under the terms of the GPL; see
 /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL.
 jeff@asterix:sndconfig $

--
 Jeff