jon on Tue, 31 Dec 2002 06:54:05 -0500

RE: [PLUG] SAMBA weirdness

Whoa. You know...

I just set up the exact same printer on my network the other night....
Here's how my smb.conf file is set up:
------------------
[epson]
printer = epson
printable = yes
writable = yes
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
guest ok = Yes
use client driver = yes
-------------------
I found the magic thing in the equation to be "use client driver = yes"

	-- jon

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of leroy@lrcressy.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 5:46 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] SAMBA weirdness

Are you running lprng on the SAMBA box?
On the Windows side you have to log in and use the password for the user
to be able to use the Samba services.  Also did you sync the Samba
password file with /etc/passwd?

I noticed that windows can ``see'' the printer even though the user is not
logged on.  So a print job would be sent then trashed.

Attached to this message is a copy of my SAMBA config file.

Have a good day,

LeRoy

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 11:28:18PM -0500, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> I have an interesting problem with SAMBA on my Suse 8.1 box.  I'm running
the
> standard SuSE package and I can hook into it via my Windows 98 box, as wel
as
> use the shared directory on my SAMBA box.
>
> The problem seems to be the printer.  I can see the printer, install it,
and
> send print jobs to it, but they just seem to go nowhere.  All indications
are
> that the SAMBA server received the job, but no output can be found
anywhere
> on the target printer (Epson Stylus Photo 820, USB, and yes it works
locally
> on the SuSE box).
>
> Any insights?  Thanx!
>
> 	-Beldon
>
> --
> "I couldn't remember when I had been so disappointed.  Except perhaps
> the time I found out that M&Ms really *do* melt in your hand ..."
> 		-- Peter Oakley

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <

gpg fingerprint:  AE0E 9F8F AC3B 7E3D A0EA  72AC FBB2 78BB 2E64 0404