Tobias DiPasquale on Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:07:18 -0500

RE: [PLUG] SPARC Question

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 12:50, Molnar, Bradley wrote:
> Some Sparcs that I recently played with (Ultra 10 I believe) use a connector
> which appears to be a PS/2 connector.  It is as described, the mouse plugs
> into the keyboard which is then plugged into the back of the machine.
>
> When setting up XF86, you need to specify the mouse protocal to be
> 'busmouse' and the mouse port is /dev/mouse (but, I can't double check that
> right now - they are on dynamic ip addresses and that building is locked for
> the next 12 days).

No, Gabe's right about this one. Type 5 keyboards/mice are
Sun-proprietary connectors that only superficially resemble PS/2. Type 6
(on Blade and Fire-branded machines) are USB. There was never a Sun
machine that used PS/2. I tried hooking up a PS/2 keyboard to an Ultra 5
when I was Solaris admin at VU, but that failed horribly. That was my
clue that Sun's don't use PS/2 ;-) There are, however, adapters you can
buy to convert one to the other for use with foreign machines.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036