LeRoy Cressy on Mon, 13 Jan 2003 06:52:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Samba question

This is from the man page for swat along with warnings. It would be helpful to configure samba using swat and then comment out the changes you made to /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf

INETD INSTALLATION
       You need to edit your /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services to
       enable SWAT to be launched via inetd.

       In /etc/services you need to add a  line  like  this  (not
       needed for Debian):

       swat 901/tcp

       Note  for  NIS/YP  users - you may need to rebuild the NIS
       service maps rather than alter your  local   /etc/services
       file.

       the  choice  of  port number isn't really important except
       that it should be less than 1024 and  not  currently  used
       (using  a  number  above 1024 presents an obscure security
       hole depending on the implementation details of your inetd
       daemon).

       In  /etc/inetd.conf  you  should add a line like this (not
       needed for Debian,  the  postinst  script  takes  care  of
       this):

       swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/swat swat

       One  you have edited /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf you
       need to send a HUP signal to inetd. To do this use kill -1
       PID where PID is the process ID of the inetd daemon.

   LAUNCHING
       To  launch  SWAT  just  run  your favorite web browser and
       point it at "http://localhost:901/";.

       Note that you can attach to SWAT  from  any  IP  connected
       machine  but  connecting from a remote machine leaves your
       connection open to password sniffing as passwords will  be
       sent in the clear over the wire.

W. Chris Shank wrote:
that sounds like your trying to use swat, the web based samba config
tool. make sure swat is installed and started (under services).

i like to install webmin, it will utilize swat (if it's installed) plus
it can help configure lots of other services too. (www.webmin.com)