Paul.L.Snyder on Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:10:34 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux boot disk to replace XP Admin password?

On 20-Jan-2003, ecorrado@athena.rider.edu wrote:

> I seem to remember hearing about using a Linux boot disk to replace a
> Windows XP Pro Administrator password. I believe all that was done was to
> erase the password some how (much the way you would a password in
> /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow in Linux. Does anyone know how to do this? Is
> there is a special program I need to do this? I believe the machine that
> don't have the password happens to be FAT32 formatted (so that might make
> things a little easier. My guess is I just need to edit a certain file
> (in a certain way), but I'm not sure which one.

You're looking for pnordahl's offline NT password and registry editor boot
disk, I expect:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

It'll handle editing the SAM automatically.  I've never tried it with FAT,
but it works like a champ with NTFS, so I can't see it being a problem.

Cheers,
Paul