Kam Salisbury on Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:12:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] wireless router

Well. I am doing a directional shot of about 400 feet line of sight. I used
a 48oz juice can an the calculations from a webpage (see links below).
Anyway. Building the can was fun and simple too. The hardest part is
drilling the mounting holes for the connector and lead into the can. Using
Net Stumbler I was able to "see" the signal much farther away from the
antennae location than with the stock omni that comes with the Linksys WAP I
have it connected to. The actual strength was not much better though (dbi) .
So... could I just stick with the can antennae? Sure. I would like a tighter
signal cone though. I wish I still had the signal data to show.

I ended up buying a yagi style 18 inch from a person on ebay that has more
experience building antennae than I obviously have. Looking back, I think
maybe I did not solder so well... oh well.

I got all of my parts, lmr cable and such from
http://www.fab-corp.com/index.htm , they are very nice.

I got my ideas from http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Kam.