William H. Magill on Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:00:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] directory conventions

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 12:25 AM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

Oh, fine, I'll bite. :^>

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 07:24:46PM -0500, William H. Magill wrote:
Solaris is more System V than BSD with no OSF added. The old Sun OS was
similar to BSD until Bill got cosy with IBM and the resulting Solaris
looked mostly System V-ish.

Uh, Solaris is very purposely System V and the old Sun OS (anything pre 5.6) was very purposely BSD. As in, Sun said that's what they were trying to do.

The fascinating thing about this was that a surprisingly large chunk of the Sun user base never understood what was happening -- they just complained that it didn't work right anymore.

Today, I suspect that the number of Solaris users who knew it as Sun OS are fewer and fewer.

Some go so far as to claim -- if it doesn't respond to "man hier" it's
not "really" Unix. (hier is the description of the "Standard file
system hierarchy").

I'd agree with that in a second. I don't think it's going particularly far. (Now, if it doesn't have hier(7) because MANPATH is broken or you didn't install the manual, that doesn't count. ;^>)

I don't know that having hier(7) means you're Unix-derived, though.

Well, Version 7 derived at least.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com