Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:24:16 -0500

RE: [PLUG] "Friends don't let friends use Dell"

> > And I saw nobody running their own up2date server,
> > please correct me if I'm wrong. I know there are two projects
> > to reverse engineer up2date, but few people are deploying this.
>
> TriLUG is running their own up2date server.  However, since it is a
> bandwidth hog, it is only available to TriLUG members.
>
> That said, yes, there *are* other people running up2date servers.

My mistake. By running their own, I meant running their own for public
access, not unlike the dozens of publically available OpenBSD or debian
mirrors.

If you have one that I can access w/o clicking and typing for dozens of
machines, that builds newer packages that can be used w/ rh7.2 please let
me know as I am very interested.

I used to run an apt-rpm server, but I didn't have the hard drive space as
it was on a very old machine. I haven't had the time to setup an up2date
server, but I'd like to as it looks better on paper to run up2date rather
than apt eventhough they both use rpm underneath just as if you run
"linux" in a corporate environment, it had better have a red hat somewhere
on the screen. It's only a computer. I'm not bitter. :)

Fred