Michael C. Toren on Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:15:36 -0500

[PLUG] screen (was: "Friends don't let friends use Dell")

> > I've been hearing about "screen" recently.
>
> Multiple screens. At the same time.
>
> screen can do the first, it can't do the second.
>
> (You need something like irc II's /window utilities for the second.)

Recent versions of screen(1) do indeed have support for vertically
split regions, similar to ircii's /window support.  Using the default
keybindings[1] in version 3.9.9, "C-a S" will split a screen into two
regions, "C-a X" will remove a region, and "C-a tab" will change the
input focus to the next region.  Unfortunately, regions do not keep
state after detaching.

-mct

[1] I hate the defaults, and instead use the following in my ~/.screenrc:

	bind = resize =
	bind + resize +1
	bind - resize -1
	bind _ resize