christophe barbe on Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:48:50 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 02:52:48PM -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> Right now OS X sort of fills a niche that Linux hasn't quite grown into
> yet.  The freedom of Linux does have its downsides, including the lack
> of any meaningful integration of software components or software with
> hardware.  I *can* do many of the same things in Linux that I can do in
> OS X but in Linux it is sometimes made a lot more convoluted than it

I fail to see what would take more times to be done under linux than
under Mac OS-X. Perhaps an example to illustrate would help.

> needs to be.  The three words you will hear a lot from OS X users is
> "it just works".

I have more experience with Mac OS-X server than with Mac OS-X and I can
tell you as a user that the three words "it just works" doesn't apply. I
agree that this is a bit off-topic in this thread which is more desktop
centric. 'Server' is mostly a set of GUI apps to administrate free
software on top of Mac OS-X and that this apps let you do the basic stuff.
As soon as you want to do more advanced stuff, you have to go under the
wood and thing can go ugly if you are not careful and first understand
the hacks done by Apple.

Christophe

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.