Jon Nelson on Sun, 09 Feb 2003 13:30:33 -0500

[PLUG] favicon

I've been trying to get this to work with limited results.  Here is what I
have currently have in my page:

-----------------snip---------snip------------------------------

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Linuxnotes.net: My LinuxNotes</TITLE>
 <link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
 <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
</HEAD><BODY BGCOLOR="white">

-----------------snip---------snip------------------------------

I also added the following line to httpd.conf (Apache/1.3.27):

AddType image/x-icon .ico

favicon.ico is located in the root of my page.

If I goto the page with Explorer or Konquerer it does not show up with the
URL.  If I bookmark it with Explorer the favicon shows up, and then
remains.  Bookmarking it in Konquerer doesn't help.

I have seen the above code written numerous ways so I'm not sure if it is
all necessary.  When I look a the source of some pages with favicon.ico
working in Konquerer, I don't see the above code (Possibly hidden in style
sheets?). Suffice to say I don't know HTML.  I have also seen that all you
need to do is have favicon.ico in the root of the page for it to work with
Explorer.  favicon.ico is set to -rwxr-xr-x.

TIA,

Jon
--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin.
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation