Marc Zucchelli on Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:29:19 -0500

[PLUG] dns propogation

I am in charge of moving a site with a very active
mysql database.  It is currently on an outsourced
virtual host account.  And we are moving it to it's
own server.  The plan is to take the site down, copy
the database and all the files over, and launch again.
 Although I am worried it might take a few days for
the dns to propogate, meaning the database on the new
server will be getting updated with different content
than the new server, unless of course I disabled the
site on the old server in which case users who use a
dns server with the domain already cached won't have
access for a while.  I do run a dns server (bind 9),
I'm not expert on it, but I was thinking I could set
the time to live to 0 for the time being.  Problem is
that ttl is specified in a few spots, and I don't know
which one is for which, part of the file looks
something like:

$TTL 3D
@               IN      SOA     ns1.abxnet.com.
hostmaster.linux.bogus. (
                                1       ; Serial
                                8H      ; Refresh
                                2H      ; Retry
                                4W      ; Expire
                                1D)     ; Minimum TTL

There is a ttl up top, and a bunch in the SOA.

Any help is appreciated, or maybe someone can suggest
a better alternative?

Thanks,
Marc