Paul on Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:30:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL modem/bridge

William H. Magill wrote:

Internet:
100 packets transmitted, 69 received, 31% loss, time 99143ms

Wireless link:
20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% loss, time 19044ms

What are these counters looking at?

Are these pings? to where? Are you pinging your local ISP's gateway to your DSL connection? or something up-stream from that?

The first is a set of pings to a host on the Internet. The second is a set of pings to the wireless router.

I also forgot to ask earlier -- is this a new connection? If it is, the problem is most likely with the ATM cloud behind the DSLAM which connects you to your ISP. My experience has been that it takes "a while" (more than one iteration) to get that circuit provisioned correctly... especially if the changes don't get backed up and they have to reload the CO switch with yesterday's parameters.

I think the connection is only a couple weeks old. I just heard that Verizon admitted having a problem at their end last night. I did have some trouble today, but it's working fine now. Nothing has changed on our end, so it must be a problem on Verizon's end.