Paul on Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:01:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] how to lose your rights and freedom...

If the communication is encrypted, how will anyone know if a crime is being planned using encryption? Sounds like the law will need to be expanded to make all encryption illegal. Isn't that how we lose our freedoms; slowly, bit by bit? Excessive laws make even the innocent guilty of nothing more than exercising their lost freedoms. Real criminals would disregard the laws and take advantage of communication that is non-encrypted by law while continuing to use encryption them selves. Convenient.

Eugene Smiley wrote:

Correction: for using encryption in the U.S. in the commission or planning
of a crime.
A discussion of this has been going on the PGP-Users mailing list
(http://www.cryptorights.org/lists/pgp-users/).

plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org <> wrote:

Patriot II, aka the Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003 dated
January 9th, would impose the first-ever federal criminal penalties
for using encryption in the U.S.

See the securityfocus story at:
http://online.securityfocus.com/news/2296